Hello Sophomore Year!

My last two, and only two, finals are over with!! This year has probably been one of the toughest years for me, by far. I managed to get a 4.0 my first semester of college (praying this semester was just as good), transferred schools, got a job, got into the school I wanted to, and made new friends. Its been a huge transition for me to go through and along the way I grew and matured into a stronger person. None of this was easy for me but I managed to get through it and now it is officially summer, thank goodness!

I have learned so much throughout my freshman year of college; heres just some of what I've learned.

1. You really will change your mind a million times. Whether it is the school you go to, your major, or your friends, it is completely normal to not know what you want.
2. You might not want to admit it but you really will miss your family so make sure you keep in touch with them because trust me they miss you too. It is a huge transition for parents to go through when their child goes off to college, just as it is for you.
3. Partying is fun, yes, but it isn't what college is all about. Maybe you were the partying type during high school because you thought it would make you more popular. The fact that you did a keg stand at the frat house on friday night or ran the beer pong table isn't going to make you anymore popular in college, so don't waste your time trying to be the life of the party.
4. Find something you enjoy and do it. Between club sports, volunteer work, and greek life there is so much to choose from at college and it's a great way to meet new people. Joining something you like will allow you to meet and connect with people who have similar interests as you. This is a great idea if you are having trouble finding your group of friends at college.
5. Study, study, study!! I can't say this enough, it is vital for your success in college. I think I just never really knew how to study in high school but when I got to college I realized that 75% of my grade was made up of my test scores. It was either study or fail, so I chose to study but first I had to learn how to actually study. I tried different ways of taking notes, going over my notes, and reading the textbook until I was able to come up with something that worked for me. If you are having similar problems I definitely suggest testing out different ways of studying until you find something that works.
6. Be who you are. I know my high school was very cliquey and that tends to make people act a certain way. College is about growing into the person you want to be, so don't fall into the trap of being who others expect you to be.
7. Lastly, you will lose touch with some of your friends from high school. Yes, this is extremely sad but also completely normal. After high school people go separate paths and the path you take may not always be the same as your friends. The people that are important to you and meant to be in your life will always be there. This is one of the most important lessons I learned this year; I have lost some friends, became closer with others, and even made new friends.

What were some of the lessons you learned in college?

Ps. My sister recently started a business making preppy dog collars and leashes and I am SO excited for her, love you sissy. Check out her facebook page http://www.facebook.com/PreppyPuppies where you can order your collar or leash today! You can also find her on:
twitter- @preppypuppies
tumblr- http://preppypuppies.tumblr.com/
blogger- http://preppypuppies.blogspot.com/

No comments: