Stress. Stress. Stress.

I'm sure any college student or graduate could agree with me when I say by the end of the semester you are in much need of the upcoming break to relax. Seeing as I have about 5 weeks left of my semester, I am feelin' the stress! Midterms have come and gone, and it is now time to start focusing on final papers and end of the semester exams.

I am not the type of person that handles stress well....at all. My stress tends to just snowball from being stressed about all the things I need to get done to being stressed about being stressed. Tell me somebody knows what I mean?! All this stress is NOT healthy whatsoever and tends to have negative effects on the body (lack of energy, binge eating...you name it). While theres nothing you can really do about being stressed (in life you are bound to get stressed) there are some things you can help combat and manage your stress.

My first advice is when you are feeling too stressed and are clearly not accomplishing anything, is to make yourself a cup of tea and go to bed. I always thought my mom was crazy when she told me this because there was no way I could just go to bed...I had work to get done (helllllooo mom, thats why I'm stressed in the first place!!). BUT I have found that this is actually a really good technique. If you need to  wake up a little earlier to get the rest of your work done so be it but you are clearly not going to get quality work done if you are frustrated with being stressed. Being able to sleep on it allows you to calm down and think with a fresh mind. As for tea, my favorite is Sleepytime. For this type of situation I suggest Sleepytime Wellness Tea. It tastes delicious but it also really helps put you to sleep and stay asleep.


Another huge way to manage your stress is to lessen it in the first place by staying organized. If you are on top of the things you need to get done on a daily basis, then you are less likely to be overwhelmed by everything you have to do. This is especially helpful when you are in school, but it can also help if you are balancing your hectic schedule between work, picking up the kids, making dinner, feeding the dog and taking the kids to their activities. I know personally that I feel more at ease when I can see everything I need to do written down so that I can plan for the day. Having an agenda and making lists is one of the easiest ways to do this. It helps to also be able to cross off what you have completed.

Here's my agenda from 2 weeks ago!
I was a busy girl on Halloween!!


Do you have any tips on managing stress? I would love to hear them!

2 comments:

Savannah said...

I'm such the opposite and HAVE to start something before bed to relieve stress because I'm not a morning person. At. All. The last few weeks of the semester are always SO stressful and I do not miss that part of college at all. :) Good luck! I'm sure you will pass with ease!

Michelle P said...

I'm so stressed with the end of the semester!